Tuesday, March 12, 2013

iPhone is losing ground

Here's some of my latest thoughts on Apple:

I think the iPhone is losing ground..  Apple is not capturing marketshare like Samsung is..  I firmly believe that Apple has  the better product, and in the long run the Apple eco system is going to pay off.... but it's taking too long.  However - again, in my opinion, key mistakes have been made, and I believe the lack of a larger screen option is going to be painful.  That impact will be felt over seas and in the US.  Android growth, Microsoft's strategy, Amazon with their tablets, Even BB is threatening a real comeback.  We all know that all it takes is taking your eye off the ball, and in the blink of an eye, your playing catch up. What do I mean by key mistakes made?

With the resources that Apple has, there is no excuse for: 

1.  Not having China Mobile locked up already - This is probably the biggest point.  They are going to lose this opportunity to the companies that produce the good cheap phone.  There's no reason why Apple can't do this, and lock 100+ million into their eco system ASAP. Get in the game. TC always talks about first mover advantage - Where is it?  Whats the strategy?  I'm not saying it's too late, but TC should be leading the party.
2.  Young people LOVE the big screen.. Don't lose this demographic.  I'm seeing more and more of these gargantuan phones in the wild.. and its not just young people.  I have a friend close to 50, she just got a big Android phone and she's in love with it.  This is costing Apple market share....
3.  The maps disaster..  THIS WAS HUGE.  No telling how many people changed their buying decision on that alone.  The google maps availability came way too late.  This software should have never been launched.  Google maps blows Apple's solution out of the water.

That's just three examples - I know, I can hear the rebuttals already, It's not Apple's way, What about the margins??  Blah Blah Blah - I don't care.  This is Apple!  Devote the resources and quit losing marketshare.  If Apple doesn't turn this around, they are going to turn out like the Apple of old. (Pre iPod)  A small niche player in a really big pond - or should I say ocean.

To those that say, that was never Apple's strategy to dominate the world, I dispute that.  Over and over you hear Apple management say "we want everybody to own our products, we want everybody to enjoy our great solutions.  We want our products in everybody's hands.."  Well, how come you're not doing it?  This market - this opportunity, is just too large to miss out on..  

Someone asked me earlier -  "how will Apple's 5" phone (iPhone 6) be received outside the US?  

My opinion - SENSATIONALLY - That is, if they ever make it..  No one knows what they're going to do...  Maybe that should be huge mistake #4 on my list.  The inability to communicate a strategy, that is timely, effective, and worth waiting for the next refresh.

I need to see some changes before I jump back into this stock again...

The Thursday presentation for the new Galaxy will be watched closely by the world. Samsung is trying to achieve Apple-like mania, and they might be able to pull it off..  Once a copycat always a copycat I guess..  I'll be posting on Thursday about it...  

Dennis 

I do not own AAPL 


3 comments:

  1. Hi, I appreciate your writing. Can u plz tell me will updating iphone to ios 6 delete everything on my iphone...like apps pics etc....and can we download google maps coz i live in india and google maps is the only option for me....and one last question : do putting personal hotspot on for connecting to another iphone via Bluetooth cost something.... thanks~ Jemima Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Updating to iOS 6 will not delete everything. Everything stays.. yes you can download google maps, and you should, it blows apple maps out of the water. don't think the hotspot will cost you, but I'm not sure on that one... Good Luck..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I many thanks for creating. Could you plz inform me can changing apple iphone to ios Six erase every little thing on my own iphone...like apps pictures and so on....which enable it to we download search engines road directions coz my home is in asia and also google roadmaps could be the merely? WOW Gold Kaufen Billig Gold On Runescape

    ReplyDelete